Sunday, January 18, 2009

March of the Caprellidae


Caprellidae shrimp are native residents in the Bodega Bay mud flats. They cling to the flat eel grass blades with four tiny segmented legs while the other two wave, praying mantis like, into the water to catch small particles of food. Their cute little heads have two long, extended antennae that bob around when they move or when you touch them.

I spent three months on the mud flats studying these little critters, only to find that I can't seem to remember what my conclusions were on them.

One thing's for certain. They are not very tasty.

3 comments:

CharlesWS said...

You didn't forget to use cocktail sauce, did you? ;D

Maybe you forgot your conclusions because there wasn't anything special about them, Yen? Outside of a bobble-head, they don't look like a big deal! Don't get me wrong, I don't discriminate against shrimp...except I like them best fried!

Anonymous said...

Now what would Survivorman say to that? He's had to eat far worse.

OTOH, the guy on Man Vs. Wild usually manages to find the nastiest things to eat and drink while in the wilderness.

Yen Verhoeven said...

True, Evil J, true. Although these little guys are barely larger than an inch in diameter and all twig really. I mean, the best you could probably get is a small "pop" compared to that satisfying "squish" that Survivorman likes when biting into large juicy maggots.

Charles... even cocktail sauce wouldn't help my friend! Granted, in all honesty, I didn't eat them. >.> But the sea bass I had didn't much care for them either!