Sunday, January 11, 2009

Sanitize That Please!

It's all happened at some point in our lives: Office co-worker sneezes, then goes to grab a bagel from the office lounge. Their sputum-sprayed hand grabs the handle of the butter knife in order to spread cream cheese over their pastry before returning the now germ-laden utensil back into the container.

Or worse yet... office co-worker leaves the rest room without washing their hands, and then cuts the cake at the office party.

*shudders*

Unwashed hands are responsible for causing the spread of diseases such as colds, flu, pneumonia and diarrhea. Disgusting.

I know it's the super paranoid bionerd in me talking here, but let me explain:

1 in 4 cases of diarrhea are caused by germs spread through unwashed hands. The pathogens (disease-causing organisms) that cause diarrhea are found in your poop. Yes, your poop. This is what we biologists describe as the "fecal oral route." ...get my meaning? Without being too explicit, think about just HOW would someone manage to EAT these pathogens, hmm?

Salmonella, camphylobacter and enterohaemmorhagic E. coli (the E. coli outbreaks we hear in the news) are all caused by enteric bacteria. Enteric, meaning bacteria in the gut and in the poop.

Why does it make us so sick? Well, salmonella and camphylobacter (we biologists affectionately call it "campy") are naturally occurring bacterium in chicken poop, but not in ours. Both are spread by uncooked or poorly prepared poultry or eggs. Whenever we get an introduction of bacteria (think about HOW it's introduced - there's really only one way) that doesn't belong, it makes us sick.

The E. coli outbreaks we hear about are bacteria that generally come from cow poop. So yes, you are definitely thinking what I'm thinking. We eat fecally contaminated foods every day. That's why proper preparation and cooking are important!

Influenza virus (the bugs that cause flu) are spread by water droplets when someone sneezes, coughs, spits, etc. They can remain virulent (active) for over 48 hours on surfaces like a doornob, a keyboard, a serving spoon in a buffet, a wadded up kleenex, a supermarket cart handle, etc...

So what can we do about it?

1. To prevent the spread of disease, WASH YOUR HANDS! The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) recommends vigorously rubbing your hands under hot soapy water for 20 seconds. -I usually sing the theme song for Dora the Explorer, We Love DNA, or Happy Birthday. Any of these choices will last 20 seconds. Next, completely dry your hands. If there's no paper towels available and no blower, I get creative and opt for seat protectors or toilet paper.

Wash your hands more often if you or people around you are sick. Also avoid touching your face. This helps the spread of zits, too!

2. Don't touch ANY surface when you're in the bathroom. A public bathroom is a disease infested cesspool. I practice the "hover" technique over the toilet. (Girls, you probably understand this more than the guys. -This can develop your thigh muscles too!) My post excretion routine involves flushing with my foot, covering my hand with toilet paper to lock and unlock the stall door, and using my elbows or paper towels for sink handles, towel dispensers, and door knob.

3. If you're sick, refrain from shaking hands. When I'm ill, I fold my arms and do a modified bow, apologetically telling whomever it is that I can't shake their hand because I don't want to get them sick. Trust me, people appreciate the gesture more than giving them a cold!

4. Sneeze or cover your mouth with your upper arm or shoulder, NEVER into your hand. Think about it for a minute. It makes sense!

5. When preparing food, use separate boards/utensils for raw meats vs. cooked foods or veggies. Call me extremely paranoid, but I have a bottle of 10% bleach that I use to spray down boards, countertops and the outsides of melons. If you read the story link, you'll understand why.

6. For you smokers out there - I have a TON of advice for you, but for this bloggy, I'll stick to: If you prepare raw meats, refrain from smoking. ...remember that fecal-oral route I described earlier?

7. Lastly, when you're in a restaurant or food court bathroom, watch the restaurant workers closely. If they do not wash their hands when they leave the bathroom, RUN AWAY AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN AND NEVER LOOK BACK!

Unfortunately, you can't do the same to your co-workers, but plastering the bathroom with Hand Washing Signs DOES help! I also like adding this little ditty:

If you tinkle
When you sprinkle
Be a sweetie
And wipe the seatie!

Happy Handwashing!

1 comment:

CharlesWS said...

I don't feel very good about Humanity's chances during a pandemic, dear Yen...I've lost count how many fellow diners went from the toilet to straight out the door without washing their hands. Somewhere, a buffet is getting on the very bad side of something. x_x And as far as my using a public restroom goes, if I can manage it, I'll hold it until I get home!