Sunday, February 1, 2009

Maryland Entomology

My first year in Maryland, I've encountered hummingbird-sized wasps, vampire mosquito hordes, and creatures that have way too many legs and move too fast for my comfort. I won't even go into the size of the spiders.

After a thorough research investigation (like bringing in a dead bug to my co-workers and asking them what the heck the thing is), here are a few insects that I have NEVER seen on the West coast but seem to thrive in the Maryland ecosystem:

1. Scutigera coleoptrata, otherwise known as the house centipede. The first time I saw one of these dashing across my basement at speeds faster than a German cockroach, I practically jumped out of my skin. Their legs are like long hairs, and they have eyes and antennae. I was so creaped out that the only thing left of it was a smudge on the wall and an indentation where I was a tad bit overzealous with my shoe.

Surprisingly, these little guys are actually quite beneficial in the house. They eat insects. What I don't like is that they inject venom through a pair of their legs, and that, although rare, it can penetrate human skin. Bleh.

2. Vespa crabro, or the European hornet, likes to hunt at night. Another insectivore, these large and very loud insects hunt yellow jackets and bees. They also like to fly into your house at night when you leave the porch light on and it takes approximately half a can of Raid and 15 minutes to kill one. It probably takes a little longer if we didn't squish it with a shoe after it falls, buzzing angrily across the wood floor. They have a nasty sting, and I'm making sure I never get to experience it! Next spring when they buzz around again, I may try smacking these 1.5 inchers with a baseball bat, but I have this fear that it'll come chasing after me.

3. Photinus pyralis, or the firefly, has become one of my most favorite insects of all time. Considering that I've never seen one until moving to Maryland, you can only imagine my childlike wonderment at seeing green and yellow glowing lights almost magically zipping around and disappearing in clumps of woods in our front yard. I remember driving home from work, almost crashing into the neighbor's car as I watched their magical dance across my lawn. First thing I did, dressed in a smart business suit and slim boots, mind you, was to jump out of my car and catch one in the garden! OMG! THEY'RE BEETLES!!! Too cool. I have to admit, both my son and I thoroughly enjoyed watching the jar full of fireflies under the covers that night. ^.^

We let them all go in the morning, of course.


4 comments:

CharlesWS said...

If only all insects could be anti-creepy like fireflies, Yen! :) But I really, really feel what you're saying about the OTHER kinds, like that house centipede. The primal part in me rears up and roars, "Not cute! Need to smoosh with heavy weight NOW!"

Yen Verhoeven said...

Heyeah, of all the insects, I think the house centipede is the creepiest one!

The Wolf's Woof said...

o_o

Holy Crap! That thing looks bigger than a palmetto bug!

Anonymous said...

Wait'll you find a silverfish. Why they're called silver "fish", I don't know. Ugly as hell, and creepy. On the other hand, if you have silverfish, you also have a leak in your foundation.

But your bug problem is under control.

As for hornets, no, you don't want that to sting you. You know the old saying "Stirred up a hornets"? Well, I have. For five minutes as a child, I was a soprano. A LOUD soprano.

Glad I could take one for the team on that one. Someone else can do it next time.