Friday, December 12, 2008

Writer's Block

Picture me: Munching on a peanut-buttered bagel while occasionally grabbing a sip of coffee as I stuff papers into my portfolio, hoping that somewhere among the pile are the directions to my conference. Once I've got the portfolio in reasonable order, I stuff it into my messenger bag along with the journal that I have gotten into the habit of carrying. It says, "V's Lab Notebook" but inside, I've now got pages of scribbled ideas on the happenings and events of my alter ego. It goes with me almost everywhere now, because for some reason, the ideas are always getting in my head.

Except today. So, until I can think of something to write, here's a word from someone else's sponsor:

Oh I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner!
That is what I really want to be.
Cause if I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
Than everyone would be in love with me!

Okay, time to balance coffee, bagel, banana, keys and umbrella as I head out to the car! Have a good weinier day today!

3 comments:

CharlesWS said...

I doubt there's a writer out there who doesn't have a 'notebook' or something similar they take with them in which they scribble and review already-scribbled ideas; I've done that going to school and to work! (Even when work was the graveyard shift.) That's the writer's curse, when you have to stop everything when an idea comes along and you want to capture it one way or the other. Then the block hits, unfortunately, and you end up carrying that tome for nothing...I've also been there. Fortunately, the ideas start flowing again soon enough. I don't have to tell you that they'll start when you least expect it, Yen!

And thanks, I had a good weiner day...uh, but I had McDonald's!

The Wolf's Woof said...

No kidding. I'll be right in the middle of doing something when an idea will strike me out of the blue. I feverishly look for a pen and try and the jot the idea down while I'm working. D'oh! I hate when that happens!

Anonymous said...

One thing that helps me = being the dork that I am - is when I get that block, let go of everything. Put in a random CD and sit down with a pen and pad.

Find a song on the CD that you really like or maybe one that you never give much thought to. Listen to the lyrics and try to make mental pictures of what is happening - but not what the artist intends but from your own perspective.

Create little shorts stories based on these snippets... that helps get my juices flowing again.

For example - I am listening to Maria Mena's 'I miss you love'. Here are some of the lyrics;

"I've run out of complicated theories
So now I'm taking back my words
and I'm preparing for the breakdown
Your t-shirt's lost its smell of you
And the bathroom's still a mess
Remind me why we decided this was for the best

Because I miss you love
I miss you love
I miss you love
I miss you
Love.."

I have a mental image (for some reason) of a woman sitting in a bathroom, an old t-shirt in her hand, on the verge of tears. There is a huge hole in the wall and through it you can see neighboring buildings like she's in some kind of New York City high rise.

For me, this gets the juices flowing. Why is she crying? Obviously she misses him... but who is he? In my mental image, I chose to interpret the bathroom being a mess by having this huge section of the wall missing as opposed to maybe left-over bottles of cologne. By making that one assumption, I have a mystery... questions to answer and ultimately a story to tell.

Sorry if this came across long-winded... I love music and writing, and it works for me so I figured I would share.