Tuesday, December 16, 2008

IT Stands for Information Technology

...not to be mistaken for BIOtechnology. But because our nearest IT guy is 45 minutes away and incredibly SWAMPED with questions, I am sadly, the next best thing. People think that because I can separate DNA, I can fix their computer. Strange...I know.
They even have a motto: Yen can do it!

Yeech.... >.< The scary thing is that usually, I can do it! -Which surprises ME!

At least my job has the “tech” in it somewhere.…just don’t ask me to program the remote!

Wanna know my secret? I follow the three steps below. It solves 75% of the IT issues that I get!

1. Turn on the computer.
a. Check that the power is turned on the power strip.
b. Check to make sure all cords are present and they are connected to the correct piece of equipment you are using
c. Find the "on" switch. Usually looks like this:
or this
...sometimes, both switches need to be on in order to get power!

2. Restart the computer.
a. Go to the green “start” and hit “shut down” then shut it down.
b. Hold the little “on” button for a while until the computer shuts off.

3. Log onto the computer
a. Check that your password is typed in correctly, including all capitals, lower cases and numbers. If this doesn’t work than:
  • Make sure the caps lock is off
  • I’s (eyes), 1’s (ones) and l’s (elles) all look alike when they are written on a piece of toilet paper. Try retyping the passy with these different combinations.


I feel your pain, my brother. I feel your pain!!!

You can find more here: http://clipmarks.com/clipmark/253C5556-54EB-4933-A355-0BFDC37671BA/

3 comments:

CharlesWS said...

Oy. Sometimes I wonder about our collective intelligence, dear Yen. Tommy Lee Jones said it best once: "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it!"

I still remember what feels like an ancient joke about folks not being able to program the clock on their VCRs. If I close my eyes, I can see millions of LED readouts on VCRs (include those on DVD players these days) flashing 12:00 for all eternity. I open my eyes just as quickly.

I honestly wonder what happened to our common sense...I realize, tragically, common sense is a lost art! Why else would people turn to a person to solve their problems for them, even when the simplicity of the problem is right in front of their faces? I feel your pain too, my friend...sigh!

The Wolf's Woof said...

Yen, Yen, she's a our MAN! If she can't do it, no one can! Come on Yen!

The Wolf's Woof said...
This comment has been removed by the author.